Monday, August 31, 2009

A Taste of Home

In coming to Africa for an extended period of time you know your sacrificing things often taken for granted.  Family, friends, constant electricity, the lake, and mexican food are just a short list of the comforts left back home.  But just the other day I managed to get one of these comforts back....Golf!  

About 15 minutes from my house in a more remote area of Jos I discovered Flamingo Golf Course.  Like many things here it quite different than the norm back home.  For instance, greens are called browns (you'll see why in the pic below) and large rocks in the middle of the fairway make for a much different hazard than sand.  One positive quality of Nigerian golf is price, 18 holes cost about $5 plus another $2 for the caddy (no golf carts).  While it's not exactly the same as back home I'm just ecstatic to stumble across an activity that I thought wouldn't be played until I returned.   

3 comments:

  1. Looks similar to Sandy Beach Golf Course!! Except for the grass..haha.

    Glad to hear everything is going so well. You're in my thoughts and prayers buddy.

    LJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the sweetest course I have ever seen! I'm sure you were way under par...

    CRAIG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! That must be a new place - never knew it existed. I wonder if Nigerians play golf?

    ReplyDelete