Monday, May 4, 2009

First Tears

I cried last night, not because of being homesick or because of a physical injury; but simple because for the first time, living in a third world country really hit home.  

What would you do?

Poverty and oppression is something Nigeria is not lacking.  As you navigate through the day you're approached numerous times by kids, women, and those suffering from physical deformities begging for money to simply eat.  Last night, as I was reflecting on the day, I felt the presence of the Lord in a way I haven't felt in a long time.  Tears began forming as a particular beggar came to mind that I had seen the past few days. He sits outside on a mat of a store where I shop because he's paralyzed from the waste down.  Feelings of conviction came about as I started to realized that I was already becoming numb to the oppression that you are surrounded by here.  What was it about this guy?  Why did I feel so much compassion for him?  Was it his genuine smile, his physical condition, or his sheer hopelessness. 

Today I made it my mission to show him Christ's love. After spending the morning visiting the one of our care centers I intentionally stopped by the market to find him after lunch.  Sure enough there he was leaning up against the same trash can as the previous days with a piece of cardboard wedged between the can and the lid to to protect him from the afternoon rains. I sat down next to him and introduced myself.  I pointed at my chest and said "Dustin".  He then pointed at his chest and said "Adam".  Quickly realizing that his English didn't go past hello I offered him my leftover lunch, a bottle of water, and some crackers that I intentionally bought for him. As I left I just said to him "Yesu Allah"  which simply means "Jesus God".

It's difficult....it really is.  You want to share everything.  Why are some so blessed and others not?  We truly live in a fallen and broken world...thank God it's only temporary! 

6 comments:

  1. D,
    I'm praying right now that you will internalize this new perspective on life as you are being exposed to poverty and hopelessness on a daily basis. I pray that it will change the way you live the rest of your life. Remember, "Whatever you did for the least of these, you did for me" (JESUS)
    CRAIG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Dustin! It's crazy to see a lil Nigeria through your blog. I am coming in June! I have 94% of my support. Yay! I am getting butterflies about the whole thing- but I read Ps 34 today and loved it! Nice apartment. I can hardly believe my home will be in Africa in a month! Wow! ~ Karis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dustin, PTL! Man, I want to cry with you. I know the feeling when your heart just breaks for the pain and suffering of the people you serve. "What do you do?" You do what you can and let God do the rest! Keep it up brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dustin,
    I saw your mother today at school. She gave me your websight blogspot. This is a surprise because I saw you at Celebration just a few weeks ago and did not know you were going to Nigeria! I will be praying for you, precious young man. You have been officially adopted by me and I will be praying with the heart of a true mother, that our Lord has given me. May the Lord richly bless you and keep you, that you may fulfill His high calling on your life and that you may be a blessing to generations to come!
    Priscilla C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Dustin,

    It's nice of you to share with us your experience.

    I am interested in knowing if all of Nigeria is like this? or if it's just that part of the country that's so poor? How was the airport via which you flew into the country OR how's the hotel you stay in now?

    Have you been to Lagos and to Abuja? and see how refreshingly beautiful those places are? Have you stayed in any of the hotels there OR visited the cinemas and the cybercafes? Have you been to the Nigerian National Stadium that costs close to $60 million to construct?

    Where you describe is in the North where most of the people are consciously and willingly ignorant. They do not go to school, they do not use the hospitals the government provides, hence their massively-diseased situation.

    Please be fair and balanced in your view of Nigeria. I am a Nigerian and I live in Lagos and I run a software company where we develop software and build world-0class databases. I cannot even relate with what u're saying, Dustin!

    Regards,
    Victor

    ReplyDelete
  6. If any of your friends needs information about how to thrive in Nigeria and how to live an interesting and fulfilling life, you can get in touch with me. And I'll be willing to reorientate your mindset.

    ReplyDelete