Saturday, April 18, 2009

Welcome to My Blog


I'd like to welcome everyone to my blog.  As you most likely know by now I'm going to serve in an orphanage in Jos, Nigeria for the next 18-months.  Based at Gidan Bege , which means “House of Hope” in the native language, I will be caring for beggars (women and children) who come to the center for food.  While at the center we will give those who come a sense of hope through scripture, basic literacy education and playing sports.  

I’ll be leaving April 20th from Houston on a nonstop flight to Frankfurt, Germany.  I have a 4 hour layover in Frankfurt then arrive in Abjua, Nigeria at 8:00 PM the 21st.  I will spend the night in Abjua, the capital of Nigeria, then drive about 5 hours into the heart of Jos.  Please pray for during this time as the Abjua airport can be somewhat of a hostile environment.  

I plan on using this blog to give everyone a small glimpse of what my life looks like over the next year and a half.

9 comments:

  1. I will be praying dude! And I will check back frequently to see what's going on and what I can do on this side of the world.
    CRAIG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dustin,

    We be praying for you! Fly safe! God has big plans for you,

    Leighton & Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. God speed to you, my friend. I'm very proud of you stepping out of your comfort zone for the sake of the Kingdom. Go and declare His glory in Jos! -Dick Ackley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celebrate San Jacinto Day on the 21st. Even though you're in Nigeria, you're still a Texan, right?

    You are never far from our thoughts, Dustin. God Bless you!
    Jenna Mc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dustin,
    HELLO! Oh, how EXCITING it was to see your update! We finally figured out of to "post a comment".....moving up in the tech world. ha!
    WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU!

    We love you! Uncle Mark, Paulette, Andrea & Garrett

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dustin! I am so excited about where God has brought you over the past 6 years or so. I will be praying for you!

    Peace,
    Burd (Kyle Burdick if you don't remember:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing and inspirational example you are for us all...!! We are so very proud of you for taking this leap of faith...!! You are storing up many treasures in Heaven.....and will be rewarded for it someday either here or in the next life..! I'll be checking regularly......and rest assured ....even though I may not comment every time I visit your blog........I am following with eager anticipation of the goings on in Jos.....! Love you Big D!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dustin,

    What an amazing adventure for you. God will do many great things through you..you have so much to offer!

    God's many blessings to you each and every day!
    The Finley-Ryan Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dustin,
    I cried today too when I read your story about Adam. It reminded me of your Dad. He too, makes a point to stop and talk to the homeless on the streets. You come from good genes. Forge on blessed one!
    Vicki Finley-Ryan

    ReplyDelete