Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Always Ready


I can't believe I haven't blogged yet about my first Nigerian church experience. The first Sunday I was here I visited a church with a friend that lives in my compound. Like many things here in Africa, it was quite different than what I was used to, let me explain... 

Attempting to fit into the culture as good as possible, I put on my best (only) Sunday kaftan. We attended a church that was held in an abandoned building on the edge of town. They were forced to move there because their original building was burned down in the November crisis. ( http://allafrica.com/stories/200811300001.html ) 
 
As service began, I,the newcomer, was asked to standup and introduce myself...not that unusual. So I stood up, and in my best Nigerian English simply said my name, where I was from, and what I was doing here. Thinking that was more than enough for an introduction, I took a seat only to have the pastor ask me to come up onstage and give the morning greeting. Come up on stage?...give a greeting? You can image the shock and confusion on my face. Let me remind you that this was my first week here. So, not wanting to offend anyone by refusing, I proceeded to the podium to "greet" the congregation. After basically repeating what I had just said, I handed the microphone back to the pastor. Thinking I was in the clear of the unwanted spotlight, I started to head back to my seat only to have the pastor this time insist that I stay and sit on stage with him for the duration of the service. So, without an appropriate “escape route” out of this situation, I spend the rest of the service facing the congregation with a point-blank view of the pastor’s backside. Needless to say, I didn't comprehend much that was preached that Sunday as most of my thought and energy was focused on not 'looking' distracted or scratching at my kaftan in a way that was inappropriate for someone in front of an audience of 60.

While I am appreciative of the honor I was being shown, it was just quite different than the standard welcoming of first time visitors I've become so accustom to back in the states. Since then I have visited another church in which I was asked to stand, give my name and state where I was from, but was not invited on stage...and, I didn't feel nearly as welcomed! 

Since this quick indoctrination into my new surroundings, I have since been reminded of scripture from the Apostle Peter that speaks to situations like the one I found myself in where he simply states: …always be ready to give an answer for the hope that lies within you… (1 Peter 3:15). 

3 comments:

  1. D, I am honestly disappointed that you haven't already learned the language enough to preach the whole length of the church service... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dustin,
    My name is Garrett, we have a mutual friend in Joy Janszen. She sent me your blog site a while back, and I have been keeping up with some of your posts from Nigeria. I have been encouraged by your posts and the way you are pursuing Christ and showing His love to those people!

    I would love to communicate more through e-mail, my address is glp4christ@gmail.com. If you have some time, I'd love to hear more about what is going on with the Church there!

    Hope to talk soon. May God bless your time there!
    -Garrett Peters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha. My parents tell stories of this same sort...they were once asked up front with 4 children to sit facing the audience. THEN...my mother glanced at the preacher's notes and saw that my dad was scheduled to preach the sermon even though he had been promised that wouldn't happen...so with a 10 min. warning my dad pulled out some sermon. As a missionary it's so true that you have to be ready to preach pray or die at a moment's notice! ha.

    ReplyDelete